I understand that choosing your wedding photographer is an absolute minefield! Every photographer offers something different and it’s all a bit chaotic when trying to decide. As a wedding photographer myself I am always constantly trying to put myself in the shoes of my couples and ensure the process is as easy as possible right from enquiry through to delivering their images. I have put together my top 10 tips when it comes to booking your wedding photographer. Let’s get straight to it…
1. Do you LOVE their work? I don’t just mean like, absolutely love their work?
2. Do you think you’d be friends with them if you met them in a different way i.e as a work colleague? Are you happy to introduce them to all of your friends and family? You’re going to be spending a lot of time with them and it’s important you get on like a mansion on fire!
3. Do they listen to you? And are they interested in your thoughts and ideas? Is their approach in keeping with what you want? Posed portraits, traditional, none traditional, all natural?
4. Are they insured? That’s a biggie!
5. Are they willing to show you full wedding galleries as opposed to their favourite few shots from each wedding?
6. Do they have a good online presence? Are they keeping their audience informed of what they’ve been up to?
7. Are they a ‘wedding photographer’ or a ‘photographer’ trust me, there’s a huge difference. Being a wedding photographer requires a whole different skill set.
8. Book an engagement shoot. Practise makes perfect! Get comfortable in front of the camera and figure out what you want from your wedding photographs
9. Do they have a back up plan? Do they have spare equipment? do they regularly back up their images?
10. How long will it take till you receive your images. This is another biggie.
The gorgeous venues in this blog post need a mention! From top to bottom we have:
Santa Maria, Southern Italy a gorgeous destination wedding
Samlesbury Hall – Preston. Beautiful building
Heaton House Farm wedding photography – love this venue so much, stunning scenery!
Iceland elopement photography , specifically in the Þingvellir National Park, this was an elopement. I died and went to heaven! Iceland is so breathtakingly beautiful!
Seiont Manor wedding photography – Anglesey. Hidden treasure in the countryside
Manchester City Centre wedding photography – Albert Chop House. My home city so I love shooting weddings in Manchester City Centre
The pen Factory wedding photography – Liverpool. Really quirky urban venue
Bedruthen Steps – Cornwall engagement photography . I mean come on it’s Cornwall. Can’t get much more lovely than that in the UK
Peckforton Castle wedding photography – A stunning castle set in Tarporley
Heaton House Farm again! This venue is nestled between Derbyshire, Cheshire & Staffordshire and is so versatile, it can be transformed into any kind of wedding!